Note-I did not copy this idea from James. I confronted him about the idea of us both splitting the three conferences, however he convinced me to just do my thing here.
Today at about 12:30 my time several affiliates of and within Microsoft came together for a media briefing for all of the big announcements Microsoft had to offer for gaming audiences that was to come in the next year. I have to say, I was impressed. Microsoft had a beyond solid lineup, and provided a great show to kick off E3 this year. Below are some of the main headlines from the press conference.
- Todd Howard from Bethesda Games showed up and presented a demo of the highly anticipated game, Fallout 3, he showed off the open world, variety of weapons, and intriguing combat system that looked a little easy to me, as you may see below. Todd also confirmed the game for release later this year.
- Cliff Besinski showed up and talked a little about Gears of War 2, confirming a new mode “Horde” which allows for up to 5 people playing cooperatively.
- After that, a Microsoft representative popped up again and ran through the numbers of Xbox 360, how it’s outselling the others (Can’t wait to hear that from the other 2 companies), and how it plans to “unveil a new experience to change the industry.” I KNOW I’ve heard that before.
- Microsoft announced a new partner with its Xbox Live Marketplace, NBC Universal, which means people will now get to watch Monk on their Xbox 360s.
- Microsoft then announced its new Xbox Dashboard interface (But not before showing that they had downloaded Dan in Real Life), which kinda looked like the Ipod Touch interface. I personally saw nothing wrong with the old one, however, out with the old, in with the new and shiny things.
- After that they unveiled the Wii-60s, I mean the “avatars” for the new 360 interface, which look strangely like Miis. Hmmm…….
- Shortly afterward they announced a few new Xbox Live Arcade titles, from Geometry Wars 2 to Portal: Still Alive. After being haunted by GlaDos, they announced their partnership with Netflix.
- They ran down a few stats and trailers for games like Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Rock Band 2 and its exclusitivity, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Lips, a new Singstar-esque microphone game with wireless microphones.
- The President of Square Enix came out and talked RPGs. Games like The Last Remnant, the new Star Ocean, and Infinite Undiscovery he slapped with release dates and confirmed all 3 would be coming to the 360. Directly after that he drops the bomb that was Final Fantasy 13 coming to the 360.