That should catch your attention. One of the biggest pinnacles of the gaming universe comes in the summer of each year, when we get to lay our eyes and have our brains squeal in delight by getting to see what Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and a whole batch of developers and publishers have in store for us in the next year or so, or in Nintendo’s case, what’s coming a decade from now, HIYO. Point is, the conference is next week, and hopefully this year is going to be a year of revelation! 2 years ago was really terrible, Nintendo really let a lot of us down in their worst conference in history. Last year was remotely better in that both Microsoft and Sony debuted some amazing technology, and Nintendo finally brought their A Game to the show with some hardcore titles. However, there was one missing if you know what I mean. So I can’t think of any better way to do this than to simply narrow it down and give my predictions, thoughts, and queries as to what’s to come at E3 2010.
Let’s face it, Nintendo, while cash-wise is leading the market, has sorta been letting us down this console generation in terms of hardcore titles. I’ll give it to them, we do get some great titles every now and then. Red Steel 2 was fantastic, every Mario game released has been close to perfection, and of course Twilight Princess that launched the console remains one of my favorites. But as I sort of spread Nintendo’s cards on the table, I think I have a vaguely good idea of how the show’s going to go down-
- Fils-Aime is going to come onto the stage, brag about sales numbers, talk about how they couldn’t expect the level of success the Wii has had. He’ll introduce new colors for the console, maybe a new fancy add-on.
- A BIG part of the show is going to be Nintendo’s new handheld, the 3DS. There’s going to be a super fancy demo of it, they’ll announce a release date for Christmas this year, a slew of games for it, and a flagship title, possibly a new Mario for the handheld. There’ll be an onstage demo, an explanation of the hardware, lots of time will be spent on it.
- Emphasis back on Wii. I have a feeling they’re going to announce a new reboot of an old Nintendo franchise, I have a really good feeling about it. He’ll brag about Mario Galaxy 2. He’s gonna promise us a few titles (big montage), Kirby Wii possibly being one, maybe Kid Icarus or Star Fox, Pikmin 3 is really out of the question. He’ll give us a stage demo and brag about Metroid Other M. Also probably another Wii- () game.
- They’ll start to close the show, then in classic Nintendo fashion, they’ll wheel out the big boy, the new Zelda. We’ll see a box art, we’ll see a release date, we’ll know what the heck it’s about, and i have good faith we’ll get a stage demo. Fils-Aime will assure us a holiday release since it’s “been in development so long” but I wouldn’t hold him to it that it goes through. If we don’t see New Zelda, I’ve lost faith in Nintendo.
What We Won’t See From Nintendo-
- No New Console from Nintendo to Succeed Wii. There’s a tiny tiny chance it’ll happen at TGS this year, but I strongly doubt it. There’s too much money on the market for it right now.
- Probably no new enhancements on the motion control. They have the market right where they want it, and Sony and Microsoft are just now playing catch-up in the field.
(Honestly, Nintendo’s side of the fence seems to be pretty straight-forward. All they need to do is come out, impress us with 3DS, show us a couple of titles along New Zelda, and fans will be pleased. It’s all we ask Nintendo.)
THE FACTS-What We’ll See For Sure-
- Sales Figures
- At Least One New Reinvention of an old Nintendo Franchise for the Wii
- At Least One New Reinvention/Continuation of an old Nintendo Franchise for the DS/3DS as a Launch Title
- Zelda Wii
What We Won’t See-
- Pikmin 3
- Mario Galaxy 3
- Any New Wii Mario Game
- Any New Console Other than 3DS
- Snowboarding Lady (I Pray)
Top 6 I Want to See-
- Zelda Wii-It’s sort of a given, but it’s going to be incredible if we get to see it.
- A 3DS Mario Game-Now would be the perfect time to use the plumber to prove the power of the new platform.
- Starfox Wii-This one’s been said a lot but it would truly be a perfect time to reveal this.
- Kid Icarus Wii-Another hardcore title that could help the Wii drastically.
- Metroid Other M-I would really like to see this game in motion on stage, demoing some of the tech.
- A New Smash Bros. -This one’s a long shot, but who knows what could happen.